The Tau Chapter of Beta Theta Pi was founded at Wabash in 1846 and has played a particularly important part of the College ever since.
It has earned a long-held reputation as being an unusually well-rounded house with particular emphasis on academics, athletics, and campus activities. Only one other fraternity on campus has won the academic trophy more times than Beta Theta Pi. The chapter typically numbers 65 members, making it one of the largest houses on campus.
The chapter house is a five story brick structure that matches the architecture of the campus. Built in 1962, it replaced the original chapter house that stood on the same spot. It received a $2 million major expansion and renovation in 2000.
The Chapter is part of the Beta Theta Pi international social fraternity for men which was founded just a few years before our chapter in 1839. Members come from all walks of life, religions, races, and countries of origin. Its reason for existence is to foster mutual assistance in worthy causes, active development of the mind, and a true, shared brotherhood.
There are approximately 130 chapters across North America. Tau Chapter is Beta Theta Pi's fourth oldest chapter in continuous operation.